Wednesday, November 12, 2008

ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE



Being that it's the week before Thanksgiving, I've decided to put my focus on those things that I'm grateful for, especially at this time in my life. These are the things I though of today:

#1: The temple - I love that Las Vegas has a temple that is so close to me! These last few times that I've gone have been absolutely fantastic and I have left there feeling like I was able to completely escape from life's issues and focus on those eternal things that are most important. Not only that but I just want to point out that the bathrooms smell like cherry twizzlers (true story). It's fantastic!

#2: Jack the Dog - I know it drives people crazy that I talk so much about a dog (mom and dad - nudge, nudge) but I was lucky enough to find one of the coolest small dogs ever created. I've had Jack for about 4 months now and while I don't necessarily care for the occassional 3:00 am bathroom runs, he has made me happy on so many levels. He's spunky and playful, and has this way of making you love him even when he's being a pill! I am truly grateful for my little four legged friend and his unconditional love!


#3: The scriptures - Some time ago I was sorting through a difficult situation and was getting to the point where I wasn't really sure how to handle it or who to talk to about it to help put things into perspective. I decided the best thing to do was to put it out of my mind and focus on something else for a while. After unsuccessfully watching television, doing the dishes, cleaning my room, and going grocery shopping, I realized I was still thinking about it, but then I was tired on top of it! I decided to do some reading before bed and of course, it was one of those "the first scripture you see" experiences where the answer was right there. I didn't have to read to find it - I just opened the scriptures and there it was. I've turned back to that scripture several times in the last weeks and still feel the peace that comes from knowing that's what the Lord wants me to know to help me. I love that I know that he is aware of me, but more so than that, that he takes the opportunity to show me as well!

#4: My cell phone - I seriously don't remember how life was before we had cell phones! I vaguely recall coming home during college and seeing if there were messages on our little board, or checking the answering machine. I'm not proud to admit it, but I've turned into one of those people that has to turn around and run home quickly to grab my cell phone if I realized I had forgotten it on my way to work. I know - ridiculous! Still, I'm grateful for how convenient it makes my life. I love that I can chat with friends and family whenever, or wherever. I love that I can send a quick message when I don't have time to talk. I especially love that I feel connected to others even when they're far away. I'm all about modern technology! Let's hear it for the cell phones!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I didn't find my name on your list. Um, just a little awkward that Jack was listed and I was not.

Just know that I am grateful for you as a friend and grateful for the good you do. You are good people.

Liesel said...

Love it! What a great post at this time of year. You don't mind if I borrow/steal the idea do you?

BTW, Jack is so cute!