Wednesday, December 2, 2009

GOLDFISH

Tonight a friend of ours moved into the third room in the house, and when she came she brought along this fish. It made me think of the time when I was little and wanted a pet so badly, so my parents finally got me a some goldfish. I would talk to them and change their water regularly - I was just excited to have a 'pet'. Then, as you can image, I came in one day and found one of them floating upside down in its bowl, and when I asked what to do with it I was told to flush it down the toilet. I still remember the sick feeling I had as I heard the 'thump' of it hitting the water, and then watched it go down in circles. It's the same feeling I get when I hit birds with my car (dumb pigeons never move). Who is it that came up with the idea that dead fish should be flushed down toilets anyways? Wouldn't it be easier to put it in a plastic sack and throw it in the garbage? All I know is that I've never looked at those kind of pets the same, and I hated the fact that the same fate was going to happen to the other one. I don't think I'm going to get my kids goldfish. It's just too rough. Good luck, little guy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember those times. I also had a goldfish and it lasted a day.
Every time I see people with fish I always want to come up to them and say, "you know that thing is going to die in a week right?"

amydear said...

I had my goldfish for over two years. I was so sad when they died. I taught them to eat out of my hand. They are the only pets I ever liked.

Grant N. Bowler said...

Poor goldfish. Even though they're small they sure are lovable.