Friday, November 7, 2008

IT'S BETTER TO BE IGNORANT

I have to vent!!! As some of you know, every year I look forward anxiously to the day when Jack in the Box puts out that glorious sign that says "Egg nog shakes now available for a limited time only." It really does make me that happy. Last year after a brief 2 1/2 week stint of the shakes, I was informed by our neighborhood eatery that their milkshake machine was broken and that they were unavailable. It was rough but I dealt with it. By the time it was fixed there were only 2 weeks left and the shakes were a thing of the past. Needless to say, I've been getting pretty excited about this year. Last week as I was driving by, there it was! The sign I had been waiting for. However, this morning as I was casually browsing the internet, I came upon a list of the highest 20 calorie count foods in fast food restaurants. I'm slowly trying to move away from being a fast food eater (budget, health, blah, blah) so I glanced at the list, wondering why anyone would want to eat that in the first place. But then there it was. As big as day. My egg nog shake! It was disheartening. Of all the thousands of fast food items in this world, why, WHY would that be a part of it?! I'm not strong enough to give up the shake, but the logical part of me realizes that I probably can't substitute it for breakfast like I did this morning...and Wednesday night....and on Monday.....sigh....... Why couldn't I have felt this way about vegetables?!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just have your shake and enjoy it! Cut the fast food calories someplace else. We all need our own "egg nog shake" to enjoy. Mine is those little powdered donuts. Just have it and enjoy it and don't worry about it. Everything in moderation, right? ;-)

Unknown said...

It is hard for me to resist anything egg nog flavored too. I can honestly feel my heart slow down as I drink it.

Just like Charla said just use it as your calories for that day and then subsist on Coke Zero for all your other meals.

Heidi said...

I'd say go ahead and have a shake, but as your overweight friend, I'm not really in position to hand out diet advice. . . So extra whipped cream it is!!

amydear said...

Ooh, sometimes it IS better to be ignorant. Kyle kept getting this turtle shake at a place called Culver's. It was 1700 calories. But I think one egg nog shake a week is fine. Maybe just not one a day. : )

Liesel said...

Hey! Thanks for contacting me. I love your blog! I see you occasionally on Karissa's and wonder what you are up to.
So, these shakes are only available for a limited time right? I say, go crazy! It's not like you have the chance for the rest of the year. You can be good then.