Thursday, November 25, 2010

OTHER REASONS TO LOVE THANKSGIVING

I've never been a Thanksgiving person. It's a family holiday and I haven't lived around family for years, I don't like huge dinners, and I HATE the thought of cleaning all of those dishes. However, because it is a holiday, there are some definite benefits associated with it. To name a few....
#1: McGriddle: These little babies are filled with bad calories and grease, but they are just so, so good. I've limited myself as to how often I'm allowed to eat them. Basically on special occasions and holidays....so thank you, Thanksgiving!!! I ate one for breakfast. It was delightful!
#2: Christmas: I'm no longer criticized for listening to Christmas music, wishing it was December, or saying 'Happy Holidays.' (True story: I said happy holidays to someone the other day and they 'reminded me' that it's not appropriate until after Thanksgiving is over). There are some serious Thanksgiving people out there and I'm going to have to say that they sort of ruin it for the Christmas people. Not listening to Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving?!?! Pish-posh!
#3: Time and a half: Around this time is when my 6 months insurance comes due, my HOA fees get paid for the year, and Christmas gifts pile up, so the thought of being able to work and earn more than I normally earn - well that just makes sense! Plus, it makes other people that don't want to be working feel like they aren't alone in their endeavors. It's a win-win situation.
#4: Vacations: Nobody is going to question why I'm taking yet ANOTHER vacation when it falls on a Holiday weekend. I'm not going to lie. I love my vacations. So when I can say 'I'm going out of town for the Thanksgiving weekend, so I won't be here Friday,' it makes it seem like I'm joining the rest of the world in celebration of the holiday. It distracts from the fact that I will use any excuse to go on a trip.

So Happy Thanksgiving to all
(and I really mean it)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your number 1 item to be thankful for,too. YUMMY! As for the number 2 item: Um...are there rules about the appropriate use of "Happy Holidays"? And also, the last time I checked, Thanksgiving WAS a holiday. I'd say that person is a GRINCH! As far as I'm concerned, the Holidays start with Halloween, cuz there's one big holiday a month through January. But what do I know?

Missed you on Thanksgiving. Weren't you supposed to stay a night with me?