Sunday, October 3, 2010

MINI NEW YEARS

I love having different experiences throughout the year that make me feel like I can start fresh at doing things with more meaning and being a little bit better than I was before. One is on New Years Eve, one is on my birthday, and the best ones are two times a year when General Conference rolls around.

I loved, LOVED Elder Holland's talk when he said 'we become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become.' Selfishly I believe he gave that talk just to me! I've been thinking about this a lot in the last week. Last Sunday during sacrament meeting I was remembering when I came back from my mission and reported to the High Council. I remember feeling so peaceful and happy, and ready to take on anything that came my way. I long for those feelings again and I want to be that person again. The person that was consistent in doing the little things on a daily basis that helped me feel close to my Heavenly Father. Who worked hard every day and loved even harder. I miss that person. And I want to become that person again.

So it's time to take Elder Holland's words to heart. Time to work on consistently being who I want to become and being mindful of the little things every day. Time to work hard again in each aspect of my life and not just the areas that seem to come easily to me. And last, but not least, it's time to learn to love again, unconditionally, despite how scary it is to me to actually love again. It's my 'New Years Eve' and tomorrow is a new start - now all I need are fireworks :)

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Hi talk was great! I think about that same thing all the time; how I want sooo badly to be that person again that I used to be, having just getting off my mission. Thanks for posting this!

JonJon said...

I'll shoot off some fireworks in your honor. :)

Wendy said...

Thanks for putting up that quote. I got the first part of it but got distracted by kids and didn't get the rest of it. Loved it.