Tuesday, May 11, 2010

FINAL STRAW

I'm not a really public person about very personal things, but I figure the only people who read this are the ones I would feel comfortable talking to in person anyhow, so if you don't like personal things, don't continue reading (also, I put spaces between paragraphs when I typed, but it won't post that way).....

So I gave in and tried online dating. Gasp, I know. It's something I NEVER wanted to do!! The truth is, when all is said and done, if I'm asked if I did everything I could do to find the illusive 'one,' I wanted to make sure that I can say yes. On top of that, I'm in a family ward with NO singles, and no way of meeting anyone there, so push has come to shove.
I'm back aand forth as to how I feel about online dating. My experience has been, well, interesting. I've had one too many divorced men in their 50's send me messages, and apparently I attract people from other countries who don't speak very good English. I don't get it. Admittedly it is frustrating at times, but I'm trying to have a positive attitude. So then I talked for a while with a guy who was actually pretty decent, but then when I met him in person, there was nothing there. Nothing. Back to square one.
So this last month or so I've been chatting back and forth with a guy who actually seems pretty great. He's educated, he has opinions, he enjoys some of the same things I do, he feels strongly about the gospel, and he seems a little nerdy (which I like). Good, yes? So yesterday he sends me an email and asks if I want to meet for lunch. AUGH!! While this should be a good thing, I just have images of meeting him, and then the same thing happening as before. Back to square one. I have actual anxiety about it, but I'm trying my hardest to have a positive attitude. So Saturday it is. A little Olive Garden, a little conversation. If anything, it will be nice to get out and talk with someone. And even if nothing happens, it's nice to know that I'm not dead inside when it comes to possibilities.
Must.....think.....positive.......

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I admire your courage. That is very ball-sy of you. Good on ya!

Stephanie said...

Well I think that is GREAT!!! You will have to post Saturday afternoon and give the update!! :)

Liesel said...

Yay! I'm nervous and excited for you. I can't wait to see how it goes. I'll be checking Saturday for the update. Good luck!

Shannon said...

Awesome! I am one who was very familiar with the online dating world. Yes, there were weird-o's, yes there were overly desperate men, but yes there are good guys on there too. I found one, and I married him. I wish you the best of luck. Don't give up! :)

amydear said...

Ooh! This sounds fun. You are great to try every option. My brother-in-law met his wife online and they now have a cute little baby, so I know it works. I can't wait to hear how the date goes. Good luck!

J. said...

Good job! That is hard but remember you are never less or two steps back from going...even if nothing happens, effort gets major points!

Report back!

lexid said...

My sister met her current hubby online. They have been married for like 7 years now. Think positive!