Saturday, June 6, 2009

WISHING I COULD BE ONE OF THOSE GIRLS

I just finished catching up on some posts that Callie, one of my mission companions, had on her blog. She and I were only together for a month, and our focus was pretty much the work we were doing, so it has been wonderful seeing this other side of her. One thing I have found out about Callie is that she is incredibly talented when it comes to anything creative or artistic. Ridiculously talented! The enthusiasm and kind heart she always demonstrated as a missionary spills into every aspect of her life. I love seeing the projects that she does and today when I was reading about how excited she is to sew throw pillows with her mom, it literally made me envious. I LONG to be that kind of a person. My friend, Heidi, can make fabulous creations with a toothpick and colored paper, while I'm still trying to finish a scrapbook from 9 years ago that consists only of placing and pasting. It's not that I'm looking for an excuse. I really do want to have that kind of creativity. A couple of months ago for Young Womens we went to Deseret Industries and did a service project tying quilts. I was super excited to participate in it and as we were sitting there working, I envisioned myself coming back time and time again. Imagine how embarrased I was when the worker patted me on the shoulder as I left, re-assuring me they could fix what I had been working on. WHERE IS MY BUSHEL THAT HAS MY TALENT HIDDEN UNDER IT?!?! I feel sorry for my children one day who will wonder why their friends have books about their lives and charming houses with home-cooked meals. Eat your sandwich, I'll say, and be happy it's not cereal for dinner again! Those ungrateful pseudo-kids.......

3 comments:

Wendy said...

You make me laugh. I love reading your blog. Your poor pseudo-kids. I'm sure you have other talents than being crafty. Your writing for example I wish I could express myself the way you do.

Unknown said...

Your talent may not be in the crafts department, but rather modern dance with scarves. Don't be ashamed, just shut up and dance!

Hilarious DI story.

The Dean Family said...

megann..you are wonderful and beautiful and oh so talented!! if i remember right you made a mean bowl of refried beans, with cheese and you'd dip tortilla chips into them..i still eat that to this day thanks to you:)