Saturday, May 2, 2009

NOT SURE HOW TO TAKE THAT

I'm the Manager at work today and when I was on the floor one of the staff members said to me "I used to think that you looked so kind and sweet, but then I heard you talk." She realized how it sounded right after it came out, and quickly said that she can tell I'm protective of the residents and how it's good that I take my job seriously. It made for a good laugh, but there was some truth to what she said. Sometimes I can't stand being the Manager and Director. I dislike people's reactions when I have to talk to them about what they're doing wrong, and I especially don't like to feel that I'm being bossy or demanding when that's not my intention. My job as a Social Worker is to make sure that the resident's rights are respected, that they feel safe, and that they're taken care of appropriately. I've sort of adopted a mother bear attitude towards the Elderly I work with. If I feel like something is affecting them negatively, I don't hesitate to pull people aside and talk to them about it, or work with Administration to take care of it. What she said made me realize that I need to work on my approach, but it also reminded me that I'm not going to back down when it comes to things that are important to me. I like to think of her statement as a compliment....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to think you were nice to...it's nice that people are seeing what I have seen all along. JK.
Megs that is a great combo. I like to call it the perfect combination of velvet and steel. That makes you a good leader.

Anonymous said...

It was a compliment, Meggs, just maybe phrased poorly. You are sweet and nice--and one of the most generous and loving and patient people I know. But you also are fiercely protective of and loyal to those that are important to you. You don't back down. That's why you're so good at what you do, and why you're sucha good person in general. And I think that's what she meant when she said she heard you talk. She just saw this other side of you she wasn't aware of. Steel Magnolias, baby. That's what it's all about...