Sunday, April 19, 2009

ON THE MARKET

I've started the search for my house - the perfect house - at least perfect for me. As I've been going through listings and walking through some that are available, I've made a shocking parallel with the other aspect of my life. Looking for a home is like looking for a spouse in some ways. It's frustratingly true, yet humorous. Let me just share with you some of my "house-hunting discoveries" I've encountered:

* A house can look perfect on the outside and at first glance it may even seem exceptional on the inside, but once you start looking around in it you realize that a thin coat of paint only covers up so much. The dirt underneath the paint is still there, and it's only a matter of time before it shows up again.
* The houses that are really good deals are few and far between, and are usually snatched up quickly, but they are there if you're patient and wait for them.
* There are significantly more people looking for homes than there are good homes available
* Fixer-uppers: There are lots of these available - houses with potential. You walk in, see how a hard wood floor would take care of the holes in the carpet, how some landscaping would turn the backyard garbage into a beautiful retreat, and how cleaning the walls and putting some new paint down would brighten up a room. Potential is good, but you have to be willing to put the time and effort into it. Some fixer-uppers are totally worth it and some are a gamble when all the money and time is spent and you realize it's good, but not for you.
* There are a lot of "okay" homes out there, that seem like a good deal, and that you would actually be able to afford, but when you're standing it it there's just "something missing."
* Everyone says that you'll know when you've found the perfect house for you and to not buy anything that doesn't feel right. Is there really an 'aha' moment when looking for a house?
* Looking for a home can be exciting and ultimately you get to decide if it's what you really want or not. However, it can also leave you feeling frustrated, and feeling like you are never going to find what you're looking for. Maybe those "must haves" aren't as "must have-ey" as you thought they were. Must....not....budge!!!
* What one person sees as an ideal home for them is not ideal for another. There are large family homes, smaller starter homes, and the modern homes with cement and sharp edges everywhere that leave me wondering who designed them, and why.

* People become so caught up in the excitement of a new home, and being approved for a new home, that they forget the big picture. Before you know it there's a house with their name on it. After the mortgage is paid, you still have the utilities, the fees, the taxes, the upkeeping. People forget that with the big thing comes the onslaught of the little things. Nobody wants to go into forclosure!

Sigh. I know what I want. I'm not willing to budge on certain things, and I'm not giving up on the chance that one day I'll be walking down a neighborhood and find my very own perfect house. Plus, as my roommate pointed out, houses WELCOME change. They WANT you to alter them and make them better. They don't take it personally if you're not satisfied with the color on the wall and decide for a new look. It's sort of a win/win situation. So here's to looking forward to that....... Bring on the hunt.....at least the house hunting, that is!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh Megann, if only I had your wisdom when we were picking out our first house. I had NO idea how much MONEY would be needed to be a homeowner. We can afford our mortgage and utilities well enough, but it's the little extras you don't expect. Especially in a fixer upper. The former owners really bamboozled us. We had that "aha" moment, but after moving in we realized we were just settling after a lot of frustration and a deadline to find a house. I don't recommend shopping for a house in a weekend!

Liesel said...

So, I have that "aha" moment, and now I have that "Oh, I miss my house" moments all the time. It is my perfect house. But unfortunatley it was just listed as a short sale (so would have to be worth waiting for). You should check it out 7808 Faith Court. It may not be your perfect house, but we were sure happy with it. Good luck with finding your pefect one. I can totally remember all the frustration. But, you will know it when you find it.

Unknown said...

Bless you sweet friend. I loved the house hunt it was the purchasing that became stressfull. It took me a full year to find what I wanted. And who knew that you need like another 5000.00 to furnish you place and buy a toilet brush.

As my mom told my sister after she had her first period. (A pat on the knee) "Oh Sweet Megan, welcome to womanhood"

Caryl said...

I know the greatest house and the greatest everything else is right around the corner. luvya hon. aunt caryl. ps did you forget how to pick up the phone? LOL