Friday, January 2, 2009

RESOLVING TO FOLLOW A RESOLUTION

This year I'm all about new beginnings. Out with the old and in with the new!! A 10 day break at Christmas gave me plenty of time to think through 2008 and see that it wasn't one of my best years thus far. There were parts of it that were no bueno. I don't think I'd ever want to go through some of the experiences I went through, have the same kind of relationships I had, or feel the emotions I felt in certain situations again. However, I also realize that I came out of it stronger, wiser, and a lot more aware of myself. I'm almost even at the point where I'm grateful for what I went through, even though nobody can truly understand why I would say that except for me. Well, the lessons were learned and the year is behind me - I'm reclaiming myself, folks! These aren't all of them, but I'm sharing a few of my resolutions for those of you who know me well enough to appreciate them:

1. Travel, travel, travel: I didn't have a single stamp - not one - in my passport last year!!!! I've always been so consistent about getting away in the years past and I hate that I put it on the back burner last year. I'm back on board. In fact, I already have several trips in the planning stages! Not just the yearly, traditional trips, but also a cruise, international adventures (you'll notice it is plural), and some simple trips that are close to home. I'm excited!
2. Funner fitness: Every year myself and everyone in the world makes the same resolution to lose weight, but it seems sort of meaningless without something behind it. I decided that this year I wanted to work towards something bigger and better. There is a sprint triathalon in San Diego at the beginning of May that I'm going to be participating in. It's a simple one and perfect for beginners, and I'm excited to do it. Plus, I got back into bike riding last year, so at least I'll have a head start on 1/3 of my training. I might not finish it quickly, but the goal is to just finish it!
3. Savings: I have been saying for months and months that I'm going to start building up my savings account again, but it seems like something always comes up. I realize this is a contradiction to my first goal of traveling, but I really do have the goal of putting ten percent of my income into savings this year. It may mean less movies and more budgeting, but I'm going to do it!
4. Spiritual: It's time for more meaningful scripture study, consistent and frequent trips to the temple, and making sure the gospel trumps everything in my life! I also have realized that I need to feel truly happy with where I am at in life, and I think the days of the singles ward are over. It's time to move on - and I'm excited about it!
5. Friends and Family: I have become acutely aware of how important my family is to me and the significance of true friends in my life. I have been so blessed with a support system and don't want to take advantage of the people that are a part of it. I want to keep in contact with people I care about, and serve those I love. I don't necessarily need a goal for that or a resolution, but I just feel the need to be more aware of it.

So there are a few of my goals. Not all of them, but you get the general idea. It's time to move forward. It's time to be better. It's time to experience joy. I wish you all the best in the upcoming year! Hooray for 2009!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your goals, Meggs. Especially the first one. I hope I can accompany you on at least one of your travel adventures, if not more. I need more stamps in my passport too!! I'm impressed with your triathalon (can I come cheer you on?), and you are gonna LOVE a family ward. So so SOOOO much better than Single's wards. 2008 was a hard year for you, but you definitely are a better person for it. 2009 should be all about building on that strength and rewarding yourself for the progress made in 2008. Looks like you're on the right track! :)

amydear said...

Yeah for the sprint triathalon! We can go on a run when you come visit. I don't have ANY stamps in my passport. So sad. Maybe I should just forge some. I like your goals. Have a great year!

Heidi said...

Good luck on your goals. I wish I could conceive having travel more as one of mine for 2009. I'm definitely losing weight this year. I'm sick of being a fatty boomba-latty!

Stephanie said...

I also made a list of goals for 2009 and wow!! Great minds think a like. We have so many of the same goals....I think 2009 is going to be a great year!!! ALSO GOOD LUCK WITH THE RUN IN SAN DIEGO! I'm jealous--I want to do something like that---But right now WAY too out of shape!!