Sunday, March 28, 2010

AND IT BEGINS

I'm in the middle of this book, hoping to get some inspiration on what it takes to LOVE running. I think I've mention this before, but I've always been incredibly envious of people who are able to effortlessly hit the road and run a few miles to 'clear their head.' Running a few miles for me requires a 30 minute, schizophrenic conversation to talk myself into going out there in the first place, trying to figure out how to let people know where I live when they find me passed out in the middle of the sidewalk, and understanding the correlation between an increased heart rate and a collapsed lung. It's not a pleasant experience.

Still, despite the reality of it, I want SO BADLY to make it a positive experience. I've been talking to and getting tips from people that are runners, reading books on running, and coming up with a plan to become 'a runner.' Yesterday as I was thinking about it I decided that I was going to set a goal for myself to get out there until I DO learn to enjoy it. Starting April 1st my goal is to run 1000 miles within the next year. Totally doable. That's roughly 3 miles a day, 6 days a week. A couple of years ago I was doing that twice a day. The weather is cooperative right now and the goal is easy to accomplish.

So as of Thursday if you're wondering where I am, you can find me running (well, gasping and trudging at first) down Elkhorn and back up Sunny Springs. You may even find me in a gym one day. Don't hold your breath, but perhaps. If any of you feel like coming along, give me a couple of months to get on board with it and then feel free to meet up with me. If any of you have any tips or pointers, PLEASE share them with me. This is something I have always wanted to accomplish, and I need all the help I can get!

7 comments:

Shannon said...

AWESOME!!! Megan, you can totally go it! I feel the EXACT same way about running. I see people do it effortlessly, while I'm huffing and puffing and feeling like I'm going to pass out. How do they do it?! I want do run like them too. What a great goal!

Misty said...

I'm so proud of you! That goal is very do-able. My suggestion is to start slow. Go as slow as you want so you don't start to hate it before you love it.

Liesel said...

What?!?! You and your commenters are crazy! :) To me that sounds like one LOFTY goal. Good for you for setting it though. I'm sure you will accomplish it. You inspire me. Let me know if you start to love to run and maybe I'll have to join you.

Unknown said...

I was just talking to my cousin about running last night and he runs in these:
http://www.rei.com/product/798242?preferredSku=7982420072&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7982420072&mr:trackingCode=43AEA1E3-F810-DF11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

And I says to myself, that would make running super fun. Get you a pair of these shoes and I promise you will want to run all the time.

Megann said...

Shame, Roberto! Shame!

Wendy said...

Good luck. I'm just trying to get motivated to start back up. Last fall I was running 3 miles twice a week.

amydear said...

Love to run! So glad you're taking it up again. I'm hoping to start again too. Haven't run in about 2 months. Let's meet up and do a run sometime. If you can do more than 3 miles at a time, your miles will happen. If you have extra money for a running gadget, get a Garmin GPS watch. Counts mileage, pace, calories, routes, etc. You can upload everything into your computer. I also love Hal Higdon's training schedules for training for events. I suggest getting several running books from the library and picking out the things that motivate you. Hurrah!