Saturday, December 19, 2009

MANOR FAMILY

In July I completed five years living in Las Vegas. When I decided to move down here I didn't know anyone, didn't have a job, and had somehow found a place to live with people that I hoped I would get along with. That was on a Friday. On Monday morning I found several listings for Social Work jobs in the classifieds. On Monday afternoon I went to a couple of interviews and was offered a couple of positions. Neither of them felt right and I almost didn't want to go to my last interview because it was the same kind of work but just a different company. I am so grateful that I did......Some people say that work is just work and you should keep it separate from your personal life and family. I agree to a point, but when you are living in a city with no family, sometimes your work becomes your family. When I started working at Manor Health Care Center it had just come under a new Administration and there was a lot of 'housecleaning' to be done. It was a rough start with a lot of blaming, anger, and replacement of some questionable staff. Some days were a challenge, but the drama kept things interesting. After a couple of years, things just started to fall into place.
Now, we're a family. We sometimes fight like brothers and sisters, but at the end of the day, there is mutual respect and true advocacy for those who surround us. There's an actual feeling of love that takes place, which is something I have never encountered in any other place I have worked in. When you get 16 Department Heads together, all with separate opinions and personalities, that direct almost 250 staff members, all with different opinions and personalities, things can get interesting! Sometimes things can get awkward. Sometimes things can get blown out of proportion. But mostly, things get resolved and people get over it, and then there is respect. I've been blessed to be in the job that I'm in (almost too blessed), and I will always be grateful for the day that I walked into Manor Health Care Center with that short haircut and reassurance that I had made the right choice. It grew into a family for me, and there is nothing better than being surrounded by family :)


No comments: