Thursday, November 19, 2009

JTD

So on Monday morning I was walking into the door at work and Jack did a quick U-turn and ran down the hill. No amount of calling his name made him turn around, and I was wearing heels, which made it almost impossible to chase him. Long story short, he ran into the road and was hit by a truck. It was a sickening thing to experience. I heard him yelp, and watched him get nicked by the wheel and thrown across the road. I have no idea how, but he came out of it with just a road rash and some pretty minor injuries. No broken bones, no internal injuries. Nothing. I saw what happened, and it makes no sense to me that he survived. I think the Lord knows that I need Jack the Dog in my life, even though other people may not understand why.

To those people rolling their eyes and saying in their heads 'he's just a dog,' I would remind you that I used to be you. I don't know why I like him so much. Maybe it's because he filled a significant void in my life at the right time and helped heal some of the hurt I was experiencing. Maybe it's because he doesn't shed, has fabulously multi-colored highlights, and is abnormally cute. Or perhaps it's the way that he crouches on the ground and wiggles his butt in the air when he wants you to play with him. I really don't know. However, what I do know is that even though he's just a dog, he's MY dog, and I'm just glad that he's still here!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Poor doggie!!! Glad to hear that he's ok!! And poor you for having witnessed it!!!!

Heidi said...

Get well soon, Jack!

Misty said...

That was a sad experience! I'm so glad he's OK. He's on his 3rd life now!