Thursday, October 29, 2009

REASONAL, SEASONAL, ETERNAL

I have this fabulous friend named Shane Shimada. He's Asian. And he likes country music. Those are some of the reasons we love him so much. But most importantly, Shane is sensitive enough to know what people need to hear, when they need to hear it. A year ago, when I was in need of some pretty significant support, Shane explained to me that there are 3 kinds of friends:The first kind of friends are the ones that are reasonal. You met them because of a work assignment, a church calling, a task. There is a 'reason' that you know them. Then you have the kind of friends that are seasonal. You were friends while you were on a mission, you knew them in college, you worked with them for several years and occassionally send each other Christmas cards. It always makes you happy to hear from them, and to catch up with their lives.
And then there's the last kind - the best kind. The greatest kind of friends, and the ones that leave an impression on you forever, are the ones that are eternal. They're the ones you have laughed and cried with. That you are allowed to always be yourself around. They're the kind of friends who will drop everything to help you when you're at your lowest, and are there to celebrate with you those times when you are the happiest. Eternal friends are the ones that come along when the Lord knows you need them, and become a part of who you are. When you look back you find yourself having met them at the right time, and in the right circumstances. They're the ones that marriage, distance, time, and life experiences don't take away from you. They help you understand that despite all of the changes that DO happen, that nothing will change your friendship or how much you can love those kind of friends. I have been blessed with those kind of friends in my life, unbelievably blessed, and I am forever thankful for eternal friends.

4 comments:

amydear said...

Wait a minute, I think I've heard this before on this blog. But it's a good reminder. : ) I'm glad you have great eternal friends. They make life so much better.

islandchik said...

I love this Meg. Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Megs-

I would count thee as my eternal friend. But wonder where you hold me as your friend.Probably seasonal since we were in the same ward at BYU.

Seriously, I long for the day when you, me, and Holly can go to Lagoon together again. That is true friendship.

Liesel said...

You made me tear up, thinking about my eternal friends and how I need to find one (or even a seasonal or reasonal one) in Mexico.